Sunday 8 November 2015

XCII. November and Other Matters

On November 1st, a week ago exactly, this blog became three years old. This last year was very terrain-dominated here at the Gardens. The Cemetery Project resulted in a nice little collection of scenery, with more yet to come. A few miniatures got painted, too. Not bad, I dare say. Again, thanks to all of you who read the blog and take the time to comment. Your interest helps my motivation, and more than once you've given me new ideas and directed me to amazing sources of inspiration.

*   *   *

This year I once again entered Wyrd's Halloween painting competition, which resulted in a very silent October here on the blog. According to the rules I am not allowed to tell you what I painted until the winners are announced, nor could I possibly show any sketches or WIP pictures while I was preparing it. Apparently the idea is that this way voters can't know who painted what and that stops them from voting for their friends or favourite painters instead of the best entry. I really don't think this is working, since some painters have very recognisable style or preferred subject matter; I'm sure anyone familiar with my work could identify my entry as soon as they saw the category gallery

If you feel like it take a look at all the galleries and possibly cast your votes (you need to be registered on the forum, though). The polls will remain open until midnight EST (MGT -5) on November 11th. Who knows, maybe you end up voting for my entry and help me win something. As soon I'm allowed, and that will be some time next week, I'll dedicate a blog post to my entry.


 *   *   *

 I do have a little something to show now after all. A new unit type for the Plague Doctor's crew: an Anthroparion. This is the first of three, and I got him done from start to finish in two evenings last week. The conversion is based on a Skaven Clanrat minus a tail, with the Hobbit Goblin arms and a new, bemasked head. To complete the conversion I added a few pouches on its belt. The other two will get a similar treatment.





Just like the Morbid Homunculus, the Anthroparions are alchemical creatures diminutive in size - results of Plague Doctor's experimentation. They are, however, rather more successful - with all their limbs in place and way more brains than the Homunculus. When properly trained and equipped they can prove to be useful minions.



Two more graveyard walls got done. To be honest, they are getting increasingly more tedious to make. But the result is worth it.






11 comments:

  1. What a cracking looking conversion. Really love the look for your theme.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the three year birthday. The Anthroparion is gorgeous. I love you style and how your simple conversions are incredibly evocative.

    Great stuff once again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy 3rd B'day, Ana. Congrats.

    A thoroughly creepy little conversion. Makes a nice addition to the plague doctor's crew.

    ReplyDelete
  4. great stuff as always! happy b'day and good luck with entry no (square root of 36) in the Rotten Harvest... :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on three years of quality posts. This is one of my favourite blogs. Always inspiring, always entertaining.

    Btw have you seen Crimson Peak? It reminded me of your Gardens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :)

      I haven't seen Crimson Peak yet. But I most certainly intend to.

      Delete
  6. Nice use of the Skaven/Hobbit Goblins spare parts, he looks like a Tim Burton take on Dispicable Me's Minions...

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.