Thursday 19 December 2013

XLIII. Bell-Ringer and Graveyard Shrine

With the holidays coming up, I've finally got more time to spend on the hobby. So I'm happy to say I have two interesting things for you today:

I. THE SECOND BELL-RINGER



For a while I've had this idea for one of the Bell-Ringers of Hades, whose body is in fact walking bagpipes- with bloated belly and pipes sticking out of his back. Conveniently, there's this cool loking aerophone instrument in the Plaguebearers kit that I could use. And his face could end with a pipe as well, like on the winged critter in this painting by Hieronymus Bosch:

Detail from the central panel of The Haywain Triptych. Hieronymus Bosch, c. 1516
So I got to work. All the bits apart from the head come from the Plaguebearers box. The head is a big skull from a Tomb Kings banner. At first I intended to give him a tall fur cap, which is why I left this thing sticking out of the head- to build the cap around it. But I changed my mind later and eventually cut it off:

WIP.

I painted him green, and in the end gave him some warpaint because he somewhat lacked detail. Probably because this one doesn't have any ropes around his waist.
Here he is, ready to unleash his infernal music on the world of the living:

 
 
And here he is with his friend:

The friend went through a little change, as a matter of fact. There was something about his horns that bothered me, and I tried painting them differently a couple of times, but nothing worked. So I removed them and gave him a new pair.
I think a whole group of ten of these will look very nice indeed.


II. THE GRAVEYARD SHRINE

 


An update for my cemetery terrain piece. The old shrine was built on a round 50mm base out of balsa and wooden beads, with plastic details. This is it before painting:


It was painted to match the headstones:




It can work as a part of the graveyard terrain or stand on its own.


*   *   *


4 comments:

  1. I always REALLY look forward to your posts. You always deliver something interesting, and I often learn little things just by looking at them. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hah, I was just about to write almost the same thing, Varangian ;)
    Inspiring work, Ana. I'm really loving both of these, but especially the paint job on those beads!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They both have a forlorn and somehow hopeless feel to them. Ugly, grotesque being. I mean that as a compliment of course. And the graveyard shrine is fantastic too, I really like your style of making terrain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Varangian, Christian and Viruk! : )

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.